Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. New York, N.Y.
Master of Science, 2016. Graduated with honors. Coursework in video storytelling (audio & video), investigative reporting, data journalism and audience engagement.
Covered the beat of housing/ homelessness and ethnic minorities. Stories included landlords breaking the law by turning away tenants with housing vouchers and the return of the Burmese diaspora to their home country after the first free election in 25 years.
Pitched and produced one-man-band video stories, from a behind-the-scenes look of Bernie Sanders phone banking operation before Super Tuesday to the political button sales in New York City, from a story about a traveling poet writing poems to strangers at Washington Square Park to a profile of a passionate and upbeat waitress working in a diner on the Upper West Side. Many of the stories got selected by professors and published on the class website. The master’s thesis, a short documentary about aging population in Chinatown, got published on The Atlantic. It also drew media attention and was featured in a summit on aging population.
Michigan State University. East Lansing, M.I.
Bachelor of Arts in Telecommunication (Radio and Television), 2004. News writing and broadcast news classes.
McClatchy, Video Fellow, Tacoma, WA (2016)
* Pitch, edit and produce compelling and concise video journalism on deadline.
* Provide basic video training to reporters/photographers and coach to improve video workflows.
CNN, International Business News Intern, New York, NY (2016)
* Script proofreading, in-depth topic research, guest booking, footage retrieval and ingestion, story pitching and development, went out with producers on shoots, wrote headlines for the show.
Radio Television Hong Kong (equivalent to NPR and PBS), Multimedia Journalist (2006-2015)
* Multimedia Journalist and On-air Radio Correspondent covered breaking news for daily news program and long-form feature program. Covered general assignments with specialization in human rights, politics and social conflicts. Frequently reported live in the field for flagship radio news program. Filed multiple radio stories daily and text stories for the news website.
* Producer/ Editor/ Videographer and One-man-band Video Reporter covered a wide variety of breaking news in Hong Kong and mainland China, including the aftermath of Tibetan riots in 2008.
* Broke investigative news story on a fake Hong Kong university selling diplomas online, story got picked up by many news agencies and prompted the founder of Alibaba, Jack Ma, to respond as diplomas were sold on his online shopping platform.
* Snuck into Tibet during the first anniversary of the unrests surrounding the Beijing Olympics and did a series on the aftermath of the riots.
* Lead reporter covered the earthquake in Sichuan, China in 2008 in which 80,000 people were killed.
* Won a certificate of merit in the 19th Amnesty International Human Rights Press Awards 2014 for an exclusive story about activists in mainland China arrested for supporting Hong Kong’s Occupy Movement.
* Recipient of the certificate of merit in the 16th Amnesty International Human Rights Press Awards 2011 for an exclusive story about members of a house church in China under arrest during the Jasmine Revolution.
* Got several exclusive interviews with political heavyweights in Hong Kong for the controversial electoral reform and broke news on Chinese leader’s comment about the reform during National Congress meeting. Stories got picked up by other news agencies in Hong Kong.
* Covered the Umbrella Movement. Did numerous live reports on the clashes between police and protesters. Interviewed with student leaders.
* Served as a weekend assignment editor. Selected, developed and planned reporting assignments.
Reporting Intern, WLNS (CBS affiliate) and HOM-TV, Lansing, MI (2004)
* Wrote, edited news segments for newscast. Went out with cameramen to do interviews. Covered Community Board meetings. Pitched story ideas and produced 2-min stories for the weekly news magazine program. Shot, edited and wrote TV news stories.
Languages: Fluent in English, Mandarin and Cantonese.
Multimedia: Highly proficient in Audacity, Adobe Audition, Final Cut Pro, Premiere, shooting with DSLR cameras — C100 and C300.
Social media: Networking applications include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Hootsuite as tools for reporting and driving traffic. Geolocating apps such as Banjo to get tweets and FB posts from where news is breaking.